Decode Democracy (decode.org) fights online political deception to build a better democracy. We are seeking a senior leader to oversee all of our work, which includes advocacy for government action to reduce disinformation and hold social media companies accountable. We understand that democracy reform requires centering racial justice, equity, and diversity in every aspect of our work.
This full-time position can be done remotely from anywhere in the U.S.
The Executive Director will work closely with, and report to, Daniel Newman, President of Decode Democracy’s parent organization (MapLight).
- Lead strategy and execution of all program-related work of Decode Democracy, including policy, advocacy, coalitions, organizing, and communications.
- Direct and manage staff in areas of policy, advocacy, communications, and digital.
- Work with President to develop and sustain financial support for Decode Democracy.
- Strategic and operational advocacy leader, with extensive experience leading advocacy efforts and with a strong track record of results. The candidate’s experience could include legislative advocacy, corporate accountability advocacy, or both.
- Demonstrated understanding of how public and corporate policies intersect with racial justice and equity.
- Experience in the area of disinformation, democracy, tech policy, media, racial justice, or a related field. Policy expertise and a track record of writing about these issues are strong pluses, but not required.
- Demonstrated ability to act as a spokesperson for the media and other public audiences.
- Excellent people management and team management skills.
- Fundraising experience.
- Capitol Hill experience.
- Existing relationships with groups working on issues affecting communities of color.
About Decode Democracy
Decode Democracy (decode.org) is a nonpartisan campaign that fights online political deception to build a better democracy, and is part of MapLight, a 501(c)(3) nonprofit. As an organization fighting for a more representative and responsive democracy, we believe in creating a workplace environment that allows everyone to contribute and be heard. We understand that democracy reform requires centering racial justice, equity, and diversity in every aspect of our work.
Please click here to read more about our core values of respect, transparency, diversity, equity and inclusion, collaboration and learning.
About Our Work
A thriving democracy requires shared information everyone can trust — but our democracy has been hacked. Technology and social media companies spread disinformation for profit. Our online world is now full of conspiracy theories, hate speech, echo chambers, calls to violence, and lies.
So far, our lawmakers have failed to put in place the protections we need. That leaves us at the mercy of Big Tech CEOs who refuse to do the right thing. We can’t afford to continue down this path. It’s time to take back control and hold technology and social media companies responsible for their actions.
We believe social media companies need to be more accountable and more transparent. They need to protect our safety by stopping hate speech and harassment, and do a better job protecting our privacy. Together, we can demand better. We can reject deceit, defuse hate, and defend truth. We can decode democracy.Learn more about us
This position can be done remotely from anywhere in the U.S. This position involves some travel, such as for staff retreats, conferences, and fundraising.
Salary & Benefits
This position is offered at $140,000-$150,000 per year, depending on experience. For exceptionally experienced candidates, we would consider a higher salary range.
This position includes a generous benefits package that includes paid vacation, health, dental, and vision insurance, and retirement plan matching.
To apply, please send a cover letter and resume to the attention of Mr. Daniel Newman at firstname.lastname@example.org, and reference “Executive Director” in the subject line.
If you have questions or require accommodation in the scheduling, interviewing, or hiring stage, please send us an email at email@example.com.
Decode Democracy is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We welcome and value a diversity of lived experiences and perspectives that will help further the democracy-oriented work we do.
We know that research shows some applicants–more often underrepresented applicants–downplay their skills. If your experience doesn’t exactly match the qualifications listed but you can shine in this role, we want to hear from you. Please apply and tell us why you’re the right person for the job.
Decode Democracy does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, age, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, country of origin, citizenship, ancestry, genetic information, physical or mental disability, military or veteran status, political affiliation, exercising one’s right to family care and medical leave, medical condition, including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding and related medical conditions, or any other category protected by local, state, or federal laws. We are not offering US visa sponsorship at this time. Black & Indigenous people of color, immigrants, LGBTQI+ individuals, folks with disabilities, neuro-diverse people and formerly incarcerated people are highly encouraged to apply.